Friday, July 8, 2011

1st Posting

Hi!

I have decided to create this blog to keep family and friends updated on the crazy adventure we are on.  I am by no means an elegant writer and in fact I don't think I am particularly good at it so please be understanding. 

Well right now I am 33 weeks pregnant with our second child.  At about 18 weeks we had an amniocentesis and discovered that this baby will have down syndrome.  Although it was a big shock we have gotten used to it and have decided that this is just the way this baby will be.  We are 100% excited about him and can’t wait to meet him! By the way his name will be Cooper!

There were several markers that lead to us getting the test and most of them have worked themselves out.  He had a bright spot on his heart (which is now gone), he has a little extra fluid on his brain (but it is staying steady and barely over normal so the doctors are not worried), and his long bones measure short (which is nothing to worry about; he will just have short legs and arms like his mommy!).

About 50% of babies with down syndrome have some kind of heart defect.  We had an echocardiogram and right now it looks like he is in the 50% that does NOT have a heart defect!  There are things that can show up but for right now it looks really good.

The one area that is still concerning is his stomach.  I have had three level 2 ultrasounds and they have not been able to see his stomach.  This means that he has some kind of blockage and is unable to swallow.  The term they used is esophageal atresia.  Right now he is fine but this will probably require surgery when he is first born.  I am very concerned about my newborn having surgery in the first couple days of life; in fact, it makes me a little sick to my stomach.  The doctors have assured me that this condition is completely “fixable” and everything should be fine.  That doesn’t make me feel much better and I hope that I am able to be strong for Cooper during all of that.  There is also the possibility that they just haven’t seen the stomach and he will be born just fine.

If all of that isn’t crazy enough, we also have a 20 month old named Cole!  He is ALL boy and loves to climb and get into everything.  We have tried to tell him that he will have a little brother soon and that he is in mommy’s belly right now, but I don’t think he understands.  When I ask him where Cooper is, sometimes he lifts his shirt and shows us his belly…so I think he just thinks that his belly is called Cooper. 

Jon and I also have a 5 year old 100 pound American Bulldog. He likes to get in trouble every now and then but for the most part is a great dog.  Cole and him are best friends!

So that is where we are to date.  I will keep everyone as updated as possible, especially when Cooper decides to make his entrance into this world!

I added some pictures from the 4th of July below!





3 comments:

  1. Welcome to our club (the one no one wants to join, but once you are in you'll never want to leave!) I wish I had blogged from the start with Violette. My feeling is if it is your child having surgery, there is never a "minor" "routine" or "uneventful" event from the parents perspective!

    One thing I will tell you is Cole and Cooper are going to have a lot of fun together! I can't wait to see the pictures of all three of your boy's fishing (I'm counting that big guy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete